So you want to get more Google reviews. Great idea!
To make reviewing easier for your customers, the best thing you can do is generate a Google review link that goes straight to your Google My Business listing.
I’m going to dive right into how to get a unique link for you, and then let me share why this is so critical for your SEO and online reputation.
How to Generate a Link for Google Reviews – in Google My Business
- Log in at business.google.com
- If you have multiple listings, select the one you want a link for.
- On the “Home” tab, you’re going to see LOTS of boxes. Scroll down to find one that says “Complete your listing.” (*don’t have this? See the next section of this article)
- In the “Complete your listing” box, click the “+” button next to “Add profile short name.”
- A popup will appear. This is where you can enter the custom text (“short name”) that gets used in your review link. Your link will end up being https://g.page/[yourprofileshortname]/reviews.
- Click Apply. A popup should appear with a link to your Google My Business profile. However, this is not the link I would recommend sending to your customers for reviews. Close that popup.
- It may take a few minutes to a few hours for your profile short name to be reviewed and approved by Google. Go grab lunch and check back in a bit.
- After a couple hours, refresh the “Home” tab on your Google My Business listing. You want to look for a new box with the heading “Get more reviews.” In that box, click the “Share profile” button.
- A popup will appear with your FULL Google review link! This is the one you want. This link will take a customer to your listing and immediately pop up the review box.
- Copy and paste this link and email it to yourself for quick reference.
*Don’t see the “Complete your listing” box?
If you or someone else who manages your listing have already added a profile short name, you will instead see a box that says “Get more reviews.” Click the “Share profile” button to get your Google review link.
Why Reviews Matter for SEO
Do you want your business to show up higher on Google? Make sure you have reviews on your Google My Business listing.
Numerous local SEO studies have shown correlation between number of reviews and higher rankings on Google. This study from Local SEO Guide said “Reviews are obviously a driving factor of ranking in Google My Business pack results.”
So if you are working on your SEO, getting more high-quality reviews is critical. And the key to getting more online reviews is making it EASY for your customers.
Using Your Review Link to Get More Reviews
When you ask for reviews, you want to make it as easy for your customers as possible.
If you just ask customers to “go review me on Google,” they may not know where to go and may not bother. Instead, email them a link that goes straight to the review box on your Google My Business listing.
As an SEO consultant for the wedding industry, I always generate a review link for my clients so they can easily ask for reviews from each and every customer they have. I’ve seen that the businesses that get positive reviews regularly have a system for asking for reviews after every experience. Make that you, too!
Help me keep this post up to date!
Google likes to change things on us all. the. time. 😉 I’m committed to keeping this post up to date, so please comment below if you notice this article is no longer accurate. Last updated: December 19, 2019.